Living in the Netherlands

I am planing to move to the Netherlands, where can I find useful information?

Visit the website ('working in the Netherlands'). This website provides information on both living and working in the Netherlands.

Contact the British Consulate General for the general guide of "New Arrivals to the Netherlands" at:

British Consulate
General Koningslaan 44
1075 AE Amsterdam
Tel.: +31 20 676 4343

British Embassy
Lange Voorhout 10
2514 ED The HAGUE
Tel.: +31 70 427 0427

Do I need a residence permit to live in the Netherlands?
As an EU citizen, you do not need a residence permit in order to be allowed to work in the Netherlands. Even if not directly needed, a residence permit can come in handy: sometimes employers ask for it before they enter into a contract with you, banks also ask for it when you open a bank account and other official institutions ask for this document as well.

You can apply for a residence permit at the Immigration Desk of the Civil Affairs Department (Burgerzaken) of the municipality where you are residing.

On the website you will find a "residence wizard" through which you can find out about the rules for residency in the Netherlands for yourself and any family members.

However, if you wish to stay in the Netherlands for more than 3 months, you have to register with the IND.

As of 1 January 2005 everyone aged 14 or older must be able to submit valid identity documents to proof his or her identity. Eg. your passport.

Publications about the Dutch immigration policy, residence permits etc can be requested at the Ministry of Justice (Ministerie van Justitie) and the Immigration and Naturalisation Department (Immigratie en Naturalisatie Dienst):

Ministry of Justice
Immigration & Naturalisation Department
Tel.: +31 20 889 30 45

Do I need to register with the local authority?
All nationalities (including Dutch citizens) must register at their local town hall (stadhuis) within five days after arrival in the Netherlands. Registration details are kept in the population register (bevolkingsregister). The following documents are required:

Since there is no population register in the UK the Dutch authorities will accept a declaration made before a consular official at the British Consulate General in Amsterdam. The British Consulate General can be contacted at:

British Consulate General
Koningslaan 44
1007 AE Amsterdam
Tel.: +31 20 676 4343

Dutch authorities will require that British certificates are legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office by means of an 'apostille'. This is in order to confirm the authenticity of the signatory of the document under the 1961 The Hague Convention. Any document requiring an apostille should be sent by registered post to:

The Legalisation Office
Norfolk House (West)
437 Silbury Boulevard
Milton Keynes
Tel: 01908 295 111 (Mon-Fri: 1000-1200 and 1400-1500)
Email: [email protected]

The cost for an 'apostille' is about £27 per document and about £6 for return registered post. Please contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for the latest requirements.

Housing & Mortgages

Renting a house

The following websites provide information on rental housing in the Netherlands.

Buying a house

The website of the Dutch Association of Real Estate Agents - NVM > English contains information about the supply of houses in the different provinces selected by city, style of house and price.

Contact the Dutch Association of Estate Agents; the Nederlandse Vereniging van Makelaars (NVM) at:

Tel.: +31 30 608 5185

A list of Estate Agents can be found at the website, fill in the Dutch word for Estate Agent which is 'makelaar' and the name of the town where you would like to live.

Where can I find information on mortgages in the Netherlands?

Contact the Netherlands Association of Mortgage Banks;

Nederlandse Vereniging van Banken (NVB)
Tel.: +31 20 5502888
Website: > English