Legalisations of all certificates issued in the United Kingdom (birth/marriage/death)
Child additions
Specific criteria for Dutch photographs
Incomplete applications
Appointment system
Unmarried Dutch father - children born after March 2009
Second passports / business passports
Fees Dutch ID card
Taking fingerprints

Legalisations of all certificates issued in the United Kingdom (birth/marriage/death)

From 01 January 2012 all first time applicants (those who have never applied for a passport/identity card/ child addition before) will need to submit legalised certificates/documents. This includes children born in the United Kingdom and therefore British birth certificates will be required to be legalised as from this date. Marriage certificates and death certificates issued in the United Kingdom will also require legalisation for applications from 01 January 2012.
For more information on how to obtain a legalisation on a British certificate/document please visit: www.fco.gov.uk
The following certificates do not need to be legalised:
- certificates from other parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands;
- international, multilingual extracts from : Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Germany, France, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey and Switzerland
If you have a certificate from a country other than mentioned above and you would like to find out how to legalise this, search for the country on 'Landeninformatie' (click here)
Documents which have been drawn up in a language other than Dutch, English, German or French, need to have a legalised translation attached

►Child additions

From June 2012 all children wishing to travel abroad will need their own travel document. This has been specified in a European regulation which determines passport requirements.From June 2012 children may no longer be included on a parent's or guardian's passport but must have their own passport or identity card.
Please refer to the following leaflet (in Dutch and English) produced by the Ministry of the Kingdom and Interior Relations in February 2012.

►Specific criteria for Dutch photographs

In order to submit the correct photographs for your passport application it is advisable to check our list of instructed photographers (in addition to reading the guidelines for Dutch passport photographs on the embassy website). These photographers have been instructed by the embassy or Consulate for taking passport photographs according the strict and specific Dutch standards. These standards are different than the British or even the EU, so it is important to check the requirements before you attend the embassy/consulate. (Note: only these specific photographers have been instructed and not the whole franchise)

►Incomplete applications

At the time of submitting an application (at the embassy or Consulate) you will need to bring all required documentation. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. If after reading the instructions carefully, you have any queries, you can contact the passport section by email
([email protected]) or by telephone 020 - 7590 3200 (08.30 - 16.30 (general queries) 15.00-16.00 (specific queries)

►Appointment system

The appointment system is for Dutch passport/identity card applications only. This concerns both renewals and first-time applicants. All applicants need to make an appointment and it is one appointment per document. So, if you wish to apply for a passport and an identity card, you will need to book two appointments. Each child/minor needs to have a separate appointment as well. It is compulsory to print the application pack and complete the attached forms which were emailed to you after you booked an appointment. In the attached PDF document, you will find the requirement sheet and the application form. You must bring these with you at the time of your appointment

►Unmarried Dutch father - children born after March 2009

Due to a change in the Dutch nationality law there are additional and specific requirements to submit with an application.
In order to obtain a Dutch travel document (passport or identity card) for the child, the additional documents to submit are:
1) proof of de-registration from the last town-hall ('gemeente') where you resided in the Netherlands ('bewijs van uitschrijving' ) which mentions the marital status (of the father) at the time of de-registration ;
2) a completed 'declaration regarding marital status' (to be downloaded at Forms)
For more information please refer to 'Consular Affairs

►Second passports / business passports

If you are interested in applying for a second passport you are advised to check the requirements as there are very specific and strict criteria for a second passport and these differ from requirements for national passports. A second passport is a passport you can use in addition to your first passport but has a validity of only two years. A business passport is a replacement of the national passport and has 66 pages instead of 34 pages. For a business passport you need to follow the regular instructions. Check the requirements for second passports here


From 1 September 2011 applications for passports and identity cards submitted in Dublin will be processed in London. Click here for the contact details of the Netherlands embassy in Dublin.

►Fees Dutch ID card

Please click here for more information concerning the recent news concerning Dutch travel documents 

►Taking fingerprints

The latest news concerning fingerprints in Dutch travel documents can be found on the website of the Dutch Ministry of Internal Affairs. Fingerprints are compulsory for any applicant over the age of 12