Provisional residence permit (MVV)

Many people will require a provisional residence permit (MVV) when going to the Netherlands for longer than three months. You can check if you need an MVV by using the residence wizard on the website of the Dutch immigration authorities, the Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst (IND). The conditions and procedure for obtaining an MVV can also be found on the IND's website.

EU citizens do not require an MVV. They do, however, have to register with the IND. For more information on registration for EU citizens, please download the brochure.

As of 15 March 2006, certain foreign nationals who require a temporary residence permit and who wish to settle in the Netherlands for a prolonged period will have to take a test, the civic integration examination ('basisexamen inburgering'), in their country of residence before they can submit their application for a temporary residence permit. Click here for information on how to prepare for the civic integration examination.
N.B. If you want to apply for Dutch nationality, you will have to pass a different exam: the 'inburgeringsexamen voor naturalisatie'.

Processing your application will take time. It is therefore important that you apply for the temporary residence permit at least three months prior to your intended stay in the Netherlands. Each applicant needs to apply in person. Postal applications cannot be accepted.

The handling fee for an MVV application has to be paid directly to account of the IND in the Netherlands. The fee has to be paid in euro's and all bank charges are for the account of the applicant.

Appointments for MVV applications should be made with either the visa section of the Netherlands Embassy in London or with a Netherlands consulate. It is not possible to sumbit an application for an MVV at the Netherlands Visa Application Centre.

Please note that once your application is lodged you cannot apply for any Schengen visa nor travel to any of the Schengen countries until a decision has been taken on your MVV/residence request.