Do I require a visa for the Netherlands?

Whether or not you require a visa for the Netherlands depends on a number of factors:

If you are travelling on a passport of one of the countries on this list you require a visa for a stay of less than three months in the Netherlands.

In accordance with Regulation (EU) 1211/2010, as from 11 January 2011 Taiwanese passport holders can travel to the EU Member States (Schengen States, Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus) without a visa for short stays not exceeding trhee months in any six-month period. Please note that the visa waiver covers all passports - both biometric and non-biometric ones - issued by Taiwan which contain the holder's identity card number.
Holders of a Taiwanese passport not containing an identity card number do require a visa.

Important information for holders of BIOMETRIC passports from Albania and Bosnia & Herzegovina:
From 15 December 2010 onwards holders of biometric passports issued by Albania and Bosnia & Herzegovina do not need a visa for a stay up to 90 days per 6 months in the Schengen area.
Holders of 'old' passports issued by Albania and Bosnia & Herzegovina are not exempt and will need a Schengen visa to enter the Schengen territory.

Method of travel:
If you are travelling through the Netherlands over land, e.g. by road or by train, passport holders of countries whose nationals require a visa for the Netherlands (see above list) should be in possession of a valid Schengen visa.
Your nationality, type of residence permit and itinerary will determine if you require a transit visa when travelling by air.

School trips exemption:
Pupils, school children and high school students in general education, who would normally require a visa because of their nationality, are exempt from the visa requirement for the Netherlands if their names are entered on a 'List of Travellers' form. This form is available from the British Council.

Please note that this form is not a valid travel document in itself. Each pupil must therefore carry a valid individual document containing the holder's personal details and photograph, such as:
- a valid passport;
- a valid travel document or
- a valid identity card.

Further information about the school trip exemption can be obtained from the British Council. Please note that the British Council cannot give general visa advice.

EU/EEA family members:
Whether or not the family member of an EU/EEA-national requires a visa depends on the type of UK residence permit and whether or not he/she is accompanied by the EU/EEA familiy member or travelling to the Netherlands to join the EEA national (not a Dutch national). Click here for further information.