Name change

The name of a Dutch national can only be changed on a passport or identity card if the name change is legal under Dutch law.

Name changes by deed poll will not be accepted by the authorities in the Netherlands. This means that in most cases the only way to change the name of a Dutch national is by applying for a name change to the appropriate authorities in the Netherlands.

To change one's given name(s), an application has to be made to the court in the Netherlands. The applicant will need a Dutch solicitor to act on his/her behalf.

To change one's surname, an official request has to be made to the Ministry of Justice in the Netherlands. Please note that the rules only allow a surname to be changed in certain situations.

Further information is available in the 'Naamswijziging' brochure. The brochure and the application form are only available in the Dutch language.