Consular declarations / certificates

Dutch nationals residing (or who have resided) in the United Kingdom can request the Embassy or the Netherlands consulate to issue consular declarations, such as:

a certificate of no impediment
a life certificate
a declaration of residence
a nationality certificate

Applications for a certificate of no impediment, a declaration of residence and a certificate of Dutch nationality can be submitted by post.
An appointment has to be made for a life certificate. To do so please send an email to [email protected]. Appointments will be made for Tuesdays and Thursdays, between 10 and 12am. A confirmation email will be sent to you within a few days.

Please note that the Embassy cannot issue a certificate of good conduct as this has to be issued by the authorities in the Netherlands. Click here for more information.  

Applications for birth or marriage certificates
If you were born or married in the Netherlands and would like to obtain a certificate you will need to contact the local council ('gemeente') where you were born or where the marriage was solemnized. For more information, please visit the website of the local council in question.

A confirmation of a Dutch divorce can be obtained by applying for a marriage certificate from the council where the marriage was solemnized. The certificate will show an amendment which reads 'div. + date of divorce'.
If the marriage was solemnized outside the Netherlands and dissolved in the Netherlands, the certificate will have to be requested from the Dienst Burgerzaken in The Hague.

Contrary to the UK, the decree issued by the Dutch court is not the document that proves that the marriage has been dissolved. The decree has to be registered with the local council where the marriage was solemnized or with the Dienst Burgerzaken in The Hague within six months. It is therefore the registration with the local council - or with the Dienst Burgerzaken in The Hague if the marriage was solemnized abroad - that dissolves the marriage.